One of the most important duties of being a Muslim mother is to instill Islamic values and teaching into our children from a young age. It can be overwhelming when you may already have a lot to do but trying to fit in some dedicated time for Islamic learning doesn’t have to be difficult at all.
You can begin with a few minutes each day or an hour once a week whatever works around your schedule. Be realistic but be dedicated.
“Mothers are great for activating the curiosity of young children. A mother is a child’s first creative teacher.”- Reed Markham, American Educator
Regardless of which stage you are at in your own Islamic learning it does not matter (as many of us are still learning and trying to improve as Muslims too). Just begin with something small each week and build it up.
Here are some recommendations what children under 5 could be learning:
- Understanding Allah: Mentioning and Remembering Allah
- Listening to Quran: Put Quran Tilawat and Nasheeds .
- Understanding Islamic Words: Bismillah, Alhamdulillah, Allahu Akbar etc.
- Understanding Duas: Reading Duas aloud and encouraging participation to talk to Allah through Duas.
- Prayer: Participating in the five daily prayers (salah) just by following movements.
- Arabic Alphabet: Learning the Arabic alphabet – this will help them recognise the letters when they progress onto the Noorani Qaida at Madrasah.
- Arabic Numbers: Learning the Arabic numbers – this will help them recognise the number in the Quran and verses etc.
- Arabic Vocabulary: Learning the Arabic vocabulary can be useful as children can then recognise the words from the stories in the Quran as they progress.
- Islamic Art: Using Islamic inspired art to encourage children in drawing, painting and colouring.
- Introduction to Juz Amma: This is more advanced to help prepare your child into Madrasah they should learn Surah Fatiha and the Four Quls.
Some Useful Links with Free Printables:
- Iman’s Home School
- Primary Resources
- A Muslim Homeschool
- Yemen Links
- TJ Homeschooling
- A Muslim Child is Born
- Umm Maimoonah Records
- Umm Asad Homeschool
الأم مدرسة إذا أعددتها أعددت شعباً طيب الأعراق
“A mother is a school, preparing her is like preparing a good nation.”